Monday, September 29, 2014

Scotland the Brave

Over the past month, Scotland has been on my mind. Partly that had to do with the referendum and vote for independence (since I'm not Scottish, I'm told I'm not allowed to have an opinion on this matter), but mostly has to do with my dream to own a B&B in Scotland one day.

One of my mom's cousins recently returned from a birthday trip to Scotland and an aunt mentioned my dream in passing to him. He sent me a private message via Facebook offering to invest if I every truly went ahead with my dream (if I understood him correctly, there is a stipulation of buying in St. Andrews so he can come visit and golf whenever he wants which I'm totally not opposed to doing). Dream come true right there!

So what's stopping me? I don't know if it's fear of the unknown or fear of failure that's made me really stop and not pursue more than a casual perusal of real estate listings. I've got a general idea of what all it would take to actually go through with it and a vague idea of how much it would all cost so it's not a fear of not knowing where to start that's holding me back. I know my husband is on board if I actually decide to go through with something like this. He'd even be perfect for something like this since he's been going to school for hotel management and is actually a very good customer service worker (he's weird in that he likes people and generally gets along with everyone) so I know it's not a fear of having to convince my love. I know our families would miss us, but I also know that they'd plan vacations so they could come visit (we'd black out certain time periods where only family would be staying at the B&B).

I don't know. Of course I don't want to fail in anything I attempt, but that's normal. I also don't mind going to new places, and since I've already visited Scotland twice now, it's not like it's completely unknown to me. I've fallen in love with the country and the people and would gladly live and work there. So what's the deal? Why am I finding it so difficult to actually move forward and start chasing this dream? I know life is short and that I'll regret it if I don't at least try, but why does it have to be so hard to take the leap?

No comments:

Post a Comment